Typical Course Content
The General English Courses are designed to give you the confidence to communicate effectively in real-life situations.
The course provides a balanced programme, focusing on the skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing, whilst covering essential grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, idioms and colloquial language.
It provides effective training for students who need English for work, study or travel. In addition it can help provide preparation for a number of exams including IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, KET and PET.
You can choose either:
- 25 lessons General English (all levels)
- 30 lessons General English (all levels)
- 20 lessons General English + 10 lessons of special options (Intermediate to Advanced)
For more information about the General English course and afternoon options, click on the links in the box.
- placement test to ensure a class at the right level
- regular progress checks
- daily homework
- multi-national classes
- at least one lesson a week in the computer laboratory
- all course material provided
- regular tutorials with class teacher to give study advice
- use of the Study Centre after lessons
- the minimum age is 17 (16 in January, February, July and August)
- end of course certificate with hours of study and final level
The following table shows the levels we use at ELC.
- use English very well in demanding situations- performance level may be above average native speaker
- use English well in all but the most demanding situations- use and understand complex language
- use English effectively in all familiar situations
- use more complex English and cope with more demanding situations
- use English to express simple ideas and achieve results- use range of basic language well in most situations
- use English in most familiar situations- use English in a limited way in more difficult situations
- develop English skills to ‘survival’ level- use English only in very familiar situations
|- learn basic vocabulary and structures for simple communication|