T: +44 1273 721771
Choose your course
Partner school of ELC Eastbourne
Book Now

Important Info

This section of the site answers questions which students often ask before they come to the school.




Students should arrive on Sunday and leave on Saturday or Sunday. Accommodation is paid for in units of one week. No reduction can be made for part of a week.


You pay ELC and we will pay your homestay.

Staying with your family over Christmas

You may be able to stay with your family over the Christmas holiday. If you do, you will be asked to pay a supplement of one week's homestay fee for the week including Christmas Day..

What will my host family be like?

It is important to understand that a "homestay family" does not always consist of 2 parents with children.  A couple or a widow(er) whose children have grown up and left home often make excellent "homestay families.

My room

You will be given your own room (unless you ask to share with a friend). Your room should contain a chair, table and lamp suitable for studying, a wardrobe and a chest of drawers or dressing table.

My first day

Please let your host family know approximately when you will be arriving, to ensure that they will be home to welcome you.  Alternatively, you could tell us and we will pass this information on to your host family.


Your host family will give you breakfast and an evening meal every day of the week. If there is something you cannot eat because of your health or for religious reasons, please let us know at the time of booking to help us to find you a suitable host family. Breakfast will usually consist of tea or coffee with cereals or toast.

Will there be other students staying in the host family?

There may be other students staying in the family but you should be the only student guest from your country. If there are other students in the family they should not be from countries which speak the same language as you. This is a very strict rule made by ELC, and we will find you other accommodation immediately if this rule is broken by the host family.

Getting to your host family from the airport.

You should make your own way to your host family. If you let them (or us) know your arrival time they will be waiting for you at home. We can advise you on the best way to get to your family from the airport or if you would like to use ELC's airport transfer service, please let us know.




If you are studying General English, on the first day of a course, students are tested and briefed as part of the programme and the normal complement of lessons will not be given.

Class level

Different courses have different minimum levels. After your test on General English, you will be placed in a class with other students at your level. We normally run classes at Beginner, Elementary, Pre-intermediate, Intermediate, Upper Intermediate and Advanced. If you arrive late for the course, we cannot guarantee a place at your level. ELC reserves the right to refuse to accept any student or terminate any student's course.

How long are the lessons?

On all courses, one lesson lasts 45 minutes. Lessons are usually combined into longer periods to give continuity of learning.

Course books/Course materials

The specific course material, or course books, which are necessary for each course are provided as part of the course fees.


Public Holidays

Public holidays

All courses have classes as normal on public holidays but the school closes for two weeks over Christmas.


ELC closes for two weeks over Christmas. The Christmas break in 2016 starts at lunchtime on Friday 16 December 2016. The school re-opens on Monday 2 January 2017. The Christmas break in 2017 starts at lunchtime on Friday 22 December 2017.


Private Lessons

private lessons

Students studying at ELC can choose to book additional One-to-One lessons. See our price list for fees. Please indicate on the application form the number of additional One-to-One lessons you require per week.




ELC is licensed by the UKBA to sponsor students. We cannot accept any student without the correct visa. If you are not sure if you need a visa you should check the UK Visas website.

Who needs a visa?

For visa purposes, the world is divided into 3 areas:

1. EU/EEA/Switzerland

Citizens of one of these countries do not need a visa and can come and go as they please.

2. Visa nationals (VN)

A Visa National requires a visa to enter the UK for any reason and must get one before they leave their country.  Visa National countries include Colombia, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Turkey    

3. Non-visa nationals (NVN)

A Non-Visa National needs a visa, but for stays up to 6 months does not need to apply for one before they leave their country. They can get a Short-term Student Visa (see below) for up to 6 months on arrival at a UK airport.  A General Student Visa must be applied for and granted before departure.  Non-Visa National countries of relevance to us include Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Taiwan, Uruguay    

Types of Visa:

General Student Visa (GSV)

A GSV comes within Tier 4 of the Points Based System (PBS). Schools are responsible for students as ‘sponsors’ and students are tied to the sponsoring organisation. If they wish to change sponsor, they must apply for a new visa.    Typically GSVs are chosen by students wishing to study for 6 months or more, and will be granted for the length of the course, possibly with 1 or 2 weeks extra.

GSV applications are assessed objectively. If you get enough points you get a visa. In order to get points, students need: 

  • acceptance from a school on the UKBA Register of Sponsors
  • evidence that a student has enough money to pay for course fees and maintenance @£1015/month up to a maximum of 9 months
  • cash in an account in the student’s name for minimum 28 days prior to application
  • proof of level of English through a SELT (Secure English Language Test)

Applicants for GSV must also provide biometrics and must also pay the healthcare surcharge as part of the application. 

Short-term Student Visa (6 months) 

An STSV is not within PBS. It is more like a visitor’s visa, than a student visa. It has no rights attached i.e. you cannot work, you cannot extend in the UK, you can only study max 6 months (maximum 180 day stay in the UK) and you cannot bring dependants. It is assessed subjectively by an Entry Clearance Officer. Non-Visa Nationals (e.g. Korea, Taiwan, Brazil, etc.) can get an STSV on arrival at a UK airport. Visa Nationals must apply before departure.   Students can be at any level.   

Short-term Student Visa (11 months)

An STSV is not within PBS. It is more like a visitor’s visa, than a student visa and is only for students following an English language course. It has no rights attached i.e. you cannot work, you cannot extend in the UK, you can only study maximum 11 months and you cannot bring dependants. It is assessed subjectively by an Entry Clearance Officer. You must be minimum age 18.   All students must apply for an STSV (11 months) in their own country before departure. Students can be at any level. You may have to pay the healthcare surcharge from later in 2015.  

Visitor Visa

You are only allowed to study for a total of 6 weeks out of 24 weeks if you have a Visitor’s Visa. If your intention prior to arrival in the UK is to study for more than 6 weeks, you must choose one of the three visas above.   


Changes To Our Programme & Prices

Programme dates or prices change

ELC reserves the right to make changes to our programme and to our prices.