TERMS & CONDITIONS OF ENROLMENT
1. In registering with us, a student accepts ELC’s terms and conditions of enrolment.
2. A course is defined as the whole period of booking (and may include a combination of different types e.g. General English, IELTS etc)
3. Full fees are due 21 days before the start of the course. If a student books a course less than 21 days before the start of the course, total fees are payable immediately.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
4. Cancellation before arrival. ELC must receive cancellation in writing by post or email at least 14 days before the start of the course. In the case that more than 14 days’ notice of cancellation is given, any tuition fees paid will be refunded less the deposit of £250. In the case that less than 14 days’ notice of cancellation are given, any tuition fees paid will be refunded less the deposit of £250 and 1 week’s tuition fees.
5. Cancellation after arrival. Acceptance of an enrolment is made on the understanding that the student will remain for the duration of the course booked for the hours of study booked. Tuition and registration fees are non-refundable once you have started the course. Group course fees for ‘unused’ weeks cannot be converted to equivalent 1:1 lessons. Course duration cannot be extended by reducing the number of hours per week studied.
6. Tuition and registration fees are non-refundable in the case of late- or non-arrival for the course.
7. Homestay cancellation. In the case that fewer than 7 days’ notice of cancellation of a homestay booking are given, a compensation fee of 50% of the weekly homestay rate will be charged and must be paid to the homestay. If accommodation costs have been paid to ELC, these will be refunded so long as adequate notice has been given, less any irrecoverable expenses (eg homestay compensation).
8. Britannia Residence: A minimum 4 weeks’ notice in writing must be given to cancel or curtail a booking in the residence.
9. Student House: A minimum 4 weeks’ notice in writing must be given to cancel or curtail a booking in the student house. In the case that fewer than 4 weeks’ notice is given, the first 4 weeks of student house accommodation is non-refundable.
10. Visas: in the case that fees have been paid prior to a visa application which is then refused, those fees will be refunded less any irrecoverable expenses (ie host family compensation, courier letter fees, CAS fee, exam fees). We will need to see a copy of the visa refusal letter in order to provide any refund.
11. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have the correct visa type and appropriate leave to remain in the UK. In the case that we find you do not have appropriate leave to remain, we will terminate your course immediately. In this case tuition and registration fees are non-refundable.
12. In the case of a student applying for a General Student Visa under Tier 4 of the Points-Based System, we will issue a CAS only on the understanding that it is the student’s firm intention to study on the course booked and to complete the attendance requirements.
13. ELC is not liable for loss of tuition or other services due to factors outside our control. Refunds will not be made under these circumstances.
Conduct & behaviour
14. ELC reserves the right to refuse an enrolment, or in the case of unsatisfactory attendance, work or conduct, to dismiss a student from a course without refund.
15. ELC is not liable for any loss, damage, illness or injury to persons or property, however caused, except where statutory liability applies.
16. On completion of your course you will receive a certificate of attendance if your attendance has been 80% or more.
17. In the case of General Student Visa students, ELC is obliged to inform the UK Border Agency where attendance is unsatisfactory or when a course is curtailed.
18. You are strongly advised to take out insurance against cancellation or curtailment of your course for any reason and medical expenses before you travel. ELC is not responsible for any problems arising from lack of appropriate insurance on the student’s part.
19. From time-to-time we may take photographs or videos for use in our promotional materials or for marketing purposes. You (or your parent/guardian if you are under 18) must inform us in writing before the course starts if you do not allow us to use such images.
Applicants with Disabilities or Special Educational Needs
20. If you have any physical disability or special educational needs (eg dyslexia), we request that you advise us prior to booking a course so that we can advise you as to the suitability of the course and any reasonable additional support that we may be able to offer.
Students aged 16 and 17 booked on adult courses
21. All courses in our brochure or on our website are aimed at adults. We do accept students aged 16 or 17 on some adult courses (see brochure or course information on our website for details).
22. In the case that a student aged 16 or 17 wishes to book on an adult course, the parent(s)/guardians(s) and student will be required to sign the Application Form that acknowledges acceptance of the school’s terms and conditions and to complete a Parental Agreement form. This form explains some of the legal restrictions that apply to under-18s (in particular with relation to alcohol and tobacco) and some of the school’s rules that apply for us to accept a student aged under 18.
23. Homestay accommodation is usually booked in units of 1 week with arrival Sunday before the course starts & departure Saturday or Sunday after course ends.
24. Unless otherwise requested, you will be the only student with your native language staying in the homestay.
25. Unaccompanied students aged under 18 must choose homestay accommodation (single room, half-board).
26. We take our responsibility for the care and safety of all our students very seriously, especially students aged under 18. Therefore, we will try to make sure that in the case of unaccompanied students aged under 18:
We only provide homestay accommodation (single room, half-board). The student is treated as part of the hosts’ family and they eat together every evening.
There will always be a responsible adult at home overnight.
The student will return home by 23.00 Sunday to Thursday and midnight on Friday & Saturday. Our homestays have been asked to contact the school if this rule is broken.
The student must provide written permission from their parents 1 week beforehand should they wish to stay out overnight or go on an overnight trip.
We request the parents and student sign a "Parental Agreement"
- The school will inform the parents in the case that the student is not abiding by the agreed terms of the Parental Agreement.
Residence and Student House Acccommodation
27. This accommodation is only available for complete calendar weeks (Sunday to Sunday) and is charged in units of 1 week.
28. If you take a holiday during your stay and are away, you will still be charged the full rate for the period of absence.
29. Payments must be made to ELC. Full fees must be paid in advance at the time of booking in order to reserve the room for the requested period of time.
30. We cannot postpone bookings for the residence or student house if you inform us 28 or fewer days before the arrival date. You are still liable for the fees of your original accommodation booking, if you give us 28 days or fewer notice.
31. For student house accommodation, you will be asked for your credit card details at the time of booking. This is to cover the cost of any breakages or damage to the property up to a maximum of £300.
32. If you lose your key, you will be charged extra to cover the cost of replacement.
WEBSITE USER TERMS
The ELC website ("the Website") is operated by The English Language Centre (ELC) whose principal office is at 33 Palmeira Mansions, Brighton & Hove, BN3 2GB, England. Please read the following terms and conditions carefully as use of the Website means your acceptance of them.
1 Use of this Website
The content of this Website is owned by or licensed to ELC. You may not copy, reproduce, modify, distribute, republish, display, post or transmit any part of this Website without the permission of ELC. You may not use the Website for any illegal purpose or in any manner inconsistent with these terms. You agree that you are responsible for all messages sent by you to the bulletin boards or chat rooms or for the content of any opinions, comments, articles, photographs, or other materials that you post on this Website. ELC is not responsible for the content of any material posted by third parties and reserves the right, without notice, to remove any content which in our reasonable opinion, is defamatory or constitutes a breach of these terms or is contrary to any law or regulation. You must not use the Website including the bulletin boards or chat rooms for any of the following:
- for fraudulent purposes or in connection with a criminal offence or other unlawful activity;
- to send, state, publish, use or reuse any material which is offensive, abusive, defamatory, indecent, obscene, threatening or illegal or in breach of copyright, trade mark, confidence, privacy or any other rights; or
- to transmit any chain letters, spam letters, or junk email, or participate in mischievous or malicious behaviour which causes or may cause damage, annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to ELC or any third party.
You warrant that you own or are authorised to use the copyright and other intellectual property rights in written material, photographs or any other material posted by you on this Website. You agree that by posting content on this Website you are granting ELC permission to display that material on and in relation to the Website and are authorised to grant such permission.
2 Limitation of Liability
This Website should only be used for information purposes. It is not advice and you should not rely on it to make (or refrain from making) any decision or take (or refrain from taking) any action. ELC is not responsible for the Website's accuracy or its fitness for a particular purpose or the reliability of the access to this Website. ELC is not liable for any damages or losses resulting from your use of or inability to use this Website. ELC does not guarantee that this Website is compatible with your equipment, that it will operate free of error or that it is free from computer viruses or any other contaminating computer program. ELC will not be liable for any material on the Website which may be considered profane, defamatory, obscene, indecent or unlawful. ELC undertakes to consider all comments and/or complaints in connection with Website content and, if it deems appropriate, will remove any such material from the Website. Nothing in these terms shall exclude ELC's liability for personal injury or death caused by its negligence.
3 Links to other Sites
This Website contains links to other websites which are not under the control of and are not maintained by ELC. These links are provided for your convenience only and ELC is not responsible for the content or availability of those sites.
4 Intellectual Property
You acknowledge that the copyright, trademarks and all other relevant intellectual property rights (Intellectual Property Rights) subsisting in the Website, including all Intellectual Property Rights in all photographs, videos and all other text and content included on the Website belong to ELC or its licensors. Except as permitted under paragraph 1 of these terms, you may not copy, reproduce, modify, distribute, republish, display, post or transmit any part of the Website without our express permission or do anything else with any content on the Website which will and/or may breach the Intellectual Property Rights subsisting in the Website.
5 Data protection and privacy
6 Termination and changes to the terms
We may suspend or cancel your right to use this Website if you breach any of your obligations under these terms. Termination will not affect either party's rights or liabilities. ELC may change the Website or these terms at any time by posting notice of the changes on this Website. If you use the Website after ELC has posted the changes you will be bound by the new terms. You should therefore ensure that you read the terms each time you use the Website.
7 Governing law and jurisdiction
These terms and your use of this Website are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and any disputes will be decided by the English courts.
The Website has security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information under our control. The ELC system uses log files that register IP address, date/time, browser type and operating system. We do not use this data other than for administrative purposes. To help us protect your privacy, you should maintain the secrecy of the logon ID and password you may have set up in connection with your participation in any ELC service.
We may occasionally collect information about you in the form of a "cookie" or similar file. This information does not identify you personally but will help us to tailor the Website to match your interests and preferences and might include the type of internet browser or computer operating system you are using and the domain name of the website from which you are linked to the Website. Most internet browsers enable you to erase cookies or receive a warning before a cookie is stored. Please refer to your browser instructions or help screen to learn more about these functions.